The Nintendo DS was a handheld system launched in 2004 whose key feature was having dual screens. The bottom screen allowed for input by touching the screen with the included stylus. The system lead to several successors and revisions, including the Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo DSi and the Nintendo 3DS.
There was one standalone Balloon Fight game released on the system, being Tingle's Balloon Fight DS. However, this game did not receive a regular retail release, instead only being available as a reward through Club Nintendo exclusively in Japan.
There were several games on the system which included references and cameos to the series as well.
- Daigasso! Band Brothers (December 2, 2004) - The game includes a medley of Famicom songs, with the Balloon Trip theme appearing within it.
- WarioWare: Touched! (December 2, 2004) - Included a microgame based on Balloon Fight (NES).
- Electroplankton (April 7, 2005) - In the Beatnes mode, two of the sounds the player can use come from Balloon Fight.
- Tetris DS (March 20, 2006) - The Touch game mode and the level 13 marathon mode background are themed around Balloon Fight, along with several other minor references.
- Picross DS (January 25, 2007) - There are unlockable puzzles based on sprites from Balloon Fight.
- Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (June 26, 2008) - In the instrument trivia menu, the demo for the marimba is a snippet of the Balloon Trip theme.
- WarioWare D.I.Y. (April 29, 2009) - One microgame and one unlockable song are based on Balloon Fight.
- Jam with the Band (May 21, 2010) - The game includes both the medley from Daigasso! Band Brothers which includes the Balloon Trip theme, as well as the instrument trivia section from Daigasso! Band Brothers DX which has a snippet of Balloon Trip as the demo for the marimba.