The game includes all levels, features, and modes from the original version, with a few changes and additions. The main addition from the original is that on a Game Boy Color all of the graphics have been given colors. The game also saves the player's progress when they clear a level, and then allows them to select any level they have cleared from a new map screen. The game also features a completely redone title screen, with the three game modes now moved to a secondary menu separate from the title screen.
The game was first available as a pre-written Nintendo Power cartridge on July 31st, 2000, which included a pamphlet about the game, as well as the rewritable cartridge which had the game already installed. The box was the standard blank Nintendo Power cartridge packaging, with a unique sticker with the game's art. This set would cost 3,300 yen.
One day later on August 1st, 2000, the game became available to be written onto a cartridge through a kiosk for 1000 yen. Players could also send in a Nintendo Power cartridge to Nintendo to get the game installed up until 2007.
- Main article: Balloon Fight GB/3DS
- On the world map, Pencilvania is simply called "City," though the game's website does still state that Alice and Jim live in Pencilvania.
- Although a completely new logo is used for the title screen, the original title screen logo of Balloon Kid appears in the game's files, but is never used in-game.
- When playing the Vs. Game, it is possible to link this game to a copy of Balloon Kid.
- While the game is enhanced when played on a Game Boy Color, it is possible to play the game in the classic monochrome by playing it in an original Game Boy.
- This game has specific functionality for the Super Game Boy and Super Game Boy 2. When playing the game using either accessory, there would be a special border which depicted a simple landscape shot. Although the game wouldn't have full color like that of a Game Boy Color, it would use different palettes for each stage.
- There is a hidden border that can be used by holding in any button as the game is loading. This alternate border depicts multicolored Balloons floating in the sky.
- If the player presses A+B+Start+Select, the game will reboot to the title screen. If the player holds this combination while on the title screen, a prompt will come up asking if they want to delete their save data. This prompt has "はい" (yes) on the left and "いいえ" (no) on the right, and will start with the cursor on "no."
- Original promotional site: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/bbkj/index.html
- Interview with Hitoshi Yamagami: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/nom/0008/b_fight/page02.html
|Console Games||Vs. Balloon Fight, Balloon Fight (NES), Hello Kitty World, Balloon Trip Breeze|
|Handheld Games||Balloon Fight (G&W), Balloon Kid, Balloon Fight GB, Balloon Fight-e, Famicom Mini: Balloon Fight, Tingle's Balloon Fight|